Organized Sunday, October 25, 1925, Parkview celebrates 97 years of ministry in 2022.
Over the past 97 years Parkview Baptist Church has shared the Good News of saving faith through Jesus with the surrounding community and the world. By God's amazing grace, Parkview has experienced the joys of spiritual growth as a multitude have been saved and many have been called to Christian service.
The earliest beginnings of Parkview are in a small Baptist church organized in 1921 located on the banks of the Indian River called Riverside Baptist Church. In a short while it became apparent that the location was not conducive to growth or the Gospel ministry.
It was decided to sell the property and make plans to relocate. In June, 1925 Riverside church was able to secure property on the edge of town in the Pinewood subdivision. The members of Riverside voted to disband on October 24, 1925.
On Sunday October 25, 1925, a meeting was called for the purpose of organizing a new church to be located on the Pinewood property. The meeting was held in the St. Lucie County Courthouse. Parkview Baptist Church was organized with 51 charter members with the Rev. J.M. Lewis, pastor of Riverside, called as pastor of the new church.
While construction of a new building was underway, the church continued to meet in the courthouse, with a Sunday school, morning, and evening worship services. On May 2, 1926 the first prayer meeting was held in the new auditorium. The formal opening and dedication was observed on Sunday, August 1, 1926.
When the Indian River Baptist Association met at First Baptist Church of Stuart on October 14, 1926, messengers for the new church were recognized and seated. Parkview Baptist Church was now included in the membership of the Indian River Baptist Association.
In the past 97 years, Parkview has had 22 pastors, many dedicated ministers of music, youth and education and a long list of deacons, church officers and workers who have served faithfully–a mission where we are "doing life together" that continues today.
For more information and to learn how you can be a part of Parkview's story, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office at 772-461-4245.
Parkview is located at 403 Hayes Road, facing Pinewood Park on U.S. 1, just south of the historic Downtown Fort Pierce district. Parking can be found in three lots on the church campus with access from Hayes Road and Pinewood Drive.
Parkview has ministered for 97 years in the heart of Fort Pierce – The Sunrise City – reaching, teaching and ministering with the Good News that the Gospel of Jesus is for all who call on His name.
A photo of Bible study students in taken front of Parkview in the early 1940’s
Gideon Long is called as pastor of Parkview in 1965, serving till 1972, leads work on new education programs and facilities.
An aerial view of Pinewood Park from 1937 shows the surrounding neighborhood in Fort Pierce. The intersection in the foreground is U.S.1 (left) Sunrise Blvd., (center) and Georgia Ave (right). Built in 1926, the original sanctuary for Parkview is shown facing the park in the top left area of the photo. The current sanctuary stands in the same location.